Our Mission Statement
The mission of the Building Department is to promote the general health, safety, and welfare of the citizens of the City of Fairburn. We strive to ensure quality and excellence in all aspects of the building permitting, inspections and compliance practices for our citizens by processing applications in a timely and efficient manner and by providing thorough building compliance inspections for all construction projects. We seek to achieve these goals by placing a high-importance on customer service, knowledge of all facets of the Building Codes and state standards and the willingness to be fair and considerate in our enforcement of these codes. Additionally, the department will coordinate the inspecting, monitoring, and plan review in the permitting process, to ensure that the City's natural resources and quality of life are protected and to provide efficient and courteous service to the citizens of Fairburn.
- New Residential construction
- New Commercial construction (New and Additions/Build-outs)
- Fences (over 40″ in height)
- Retaining walls 4′ and over (6′ + requires an engineer certification)
- Accessory structures (storage shed, detached garages, etc. 120 sq ft and over)
- Decks, stoops, & porches (over 29″ in height @ F.F.E.)
- Any structural alterations (moving walls, adding doors, etc.)
- Room Additions
- Trades: Anything other than MINOR REPAIR WORK performed by the homeowner. Any work performed by a licensed trade individual requires a permit.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, fountains which contain at least 24″ of water
- Demolition Permits
The list is not all-inclusive; therefore, property owners or agents for the property owners should always contact the Building Department before starting work to find out if a permit is required. Failure to obtain the proper permits may result in penalties, stop work orders, possible citations, and possible removal of structure in violation.
Code Requirements and Inspections:
Once a building permit has been granted, certain procedures must be followed. For inspection information, contact the Building Official or Permit Technician. The inspection request line is 770-964-2244 ext. 401. Inspections must be called in between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm Monday through Friday. All inspections are next day inspections. The city of Fairburn currently uses the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes. Information about these codes can be obtained at the Department of Community Affairs.