Our Mission Statement
- New Residential construction
- New Commercial construction (New and Additions/Build-outs)
- Fences (over 40″ in height)
- Retaining walls 4′ and over (6′ + requires an engineer certification)
- Accessory structures (storage shed, detached garages, etc. 120 sq ft and over)
- Decks, stoops, & porches (over 29″ in height @ F.F.E.)
- Any structural alterations (moving walls, adding doors, etc.)
- Room Additions
- Trades: Anything other than MINOR REPAIR WORK performed by the homeowner. Any work performed by a licensed trade individual requires a permit.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, fountains which contain at least 24″ of water
- Demolition Permits @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
The list is not all-inclusive; therefore, property owners or agents for the property owners should always contact the Building Department before starting work to find out if a permit is required. Failure to obtain the proper permits may result in penalties, stop-work orders, possible citations, and possible removal of structure in violation.
Code Requirements and Inspections:
Once a building permit has been granted, certain procedures must be followed. For inspection information, contact the Building Official or Permit Technician. The inspection request line is 770-964-2244 ext. 401. Inspections must be called in between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm Monday through Friday. All inspections are next day inspections. The city of Fairburn currently uses the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes. Information about these codes can be obtained at the Department of Community Affairs.